Started Aug 23, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
konst1977
Junior MemberPosts: 43
Like?
best fast wide-angle for a crop body
Aug 23, 2011

I've been thinking for a while what wide angle lens to get for my 60D.

Ideally I want a Canon lens (vs. 3rd party) as I was unhappy with the sharpness of a Tamron 17-55 f/2.8 non-IS lens I had and since then decided to go only Canon, if possible.

And I wan't it to be fast - like f/1.8 (or f/2). Because I believe it's much harder to get bokeh with a f/2.8 lens.

Budget - about $600.

Looks like my primary option is 28 f/1.8. It's getting quite good reviews, sharp, fast.

It's not really as wide angle as I'd want it to be. I'd prefer Canon to have smth like 17mm f/2 - but no such luck. Can't afford the 24 f/1.4.

My only other option would be Sigma 20 f/1.8 (25 Amazon reviews, 4.5 average). But probably not Sigma 24 f/1.8 (Amazon review average - 4 - too low). I like this lenses focal distance (20mm) much better then Canon's 28mm but afraid that it's inferior to Canon in terms of sharpness or focusing.

Please let me know if I'm right with my thinking (based on my experience) that it's difficult to get bokeh with f/2.8 lenses.

My other lenses are 50mm f/1.8 and the kit 17-55 f/3.5-5.6 (and I used to have Tamron 17-55 f/2.8).

Just wanted to know what everybody think about fast wide angles for crop bodies.

Thanks for looking and have a good a one.
Konstantin

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow