ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Gakuranman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,016
Like?
NEX C3 review - m43 sensor limits
Aug 23, 2011

Hey all,

I'm just browsing through the NEX C-3 review dpreview have posted, particularly looking at the RAW comparisons with the E-P3. To my eyes, the level of detail in the E-P3 raws pretty closely matches the C-3. What is much more of a difference however, is the level of noise.

Up to ISO1600, there isn't a lot in it, but above that mark, the NEX sensor clearly shows its advantage.

My question: the 4/3 sensor size has been around for a while and used by Olympus in its pro level bodies (E5, etc.). I was never a DSLR user, so I don't know how it fared exactly, but judging by the raw samples compared to similar cameras like the Nikon D300, it seems to hold its own.

I know technically the smaller 4/3 sensor is always going to struggle to match the larger APS-C sensors, but by just how much? I often see people talking about how much bigger theAPS sensors are, but in reality, the height difference is very small. The width (crop difference 3:2 vs. 4:3) is more of a difference, but how much does this affect the final image?

In other words, given the same processing technology, how much extra 'noise' will a 4/3 sensor have over a APS-C sensor? I'm aware the processing technology is a huge factor in determining the final output from the sensor, but I'm curious by just how much 4/3 will always lag behind APS-C sensors.

Looking forward to some insightful comments :). Thanks!

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow