Thoughts on the 24-70mm f/2.8

Started Aug 21, 2011 | Discussions thread
NikonJunkieGirl
Regular MemberPosts: 456
Like?
Re: Thoughts on the 24-70mm f/2.8
In reply to Navmark77, Aug 22, 2011

I guess when you have that reach and VRII you can't complain about bulk and weight, you just "expect" it. I never see the hefty 14-24 being resold much (at least not now--maybe when Nikon discontinues it, since it's rather a specialty lens), and I hardly see anyone unloading the 70-200.

I think the 14-24 smokes all wider primes, but not the new 24G. So I would not sell it until Nikon introduces a 14mm f/1.4G, then I'll THINK about it.

The 70-200 seems much better than most primes that would compete with it--except that $$$$$$ 200mm f/2 Super Chub. And I won't complain about the bulk and weight of the zoom when that 200 prime weighs 6 pounds or something.

But the primes in the mid-range area are simply more appealing than a large mid-range zoom (to some of us anyway

I just get better results with the smaller, faster and far less intimidating 24 and 50 G lenses. When I use the 85, that big front element usually makes people see it as bigger than it really is.

Navmark77 wrote:

The ironic thing is that I seldom see comments along these lines about the 70-200, despite the fact that the 24-70 and the 70-200 receive similar reviews in terms of optical quality across all apertures and focal lengths. I guess it's more of a commentary on the bulk and weight than anything else.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow