Is FZ100 Replacement Now Just Wishful Thinking?

Started Aug 21, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Vandyu
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,952Gear list
Like?
Is FZ100 Replacement Now Just Wishful Thinking?
Aug 21, 2011

Some folks in the forum have been saying that Panasonic has decided not to update its flagship superzoom FZ100. So, my question is--how solid is this rumor?

I can see how the company is moving strongly toward interchangeable lens models because that's where the future growth is. Sell the customer a body and hook him for life with lenses. Canon and Nikon learned that long ago.

But, as many, including myself, have argued, there is a place for the quality superzoom and a decent market for it. Whether Panasonic ever hears our cries for an FZ60 is doubtful, but are they turning a deaf ear to our desire to see an improved FZ100 also?

One poster said his camera shop told him they had abandoned the FZ100 and were only issuing the FZ47. OK. But, so far I haven't seen anything from Panasonic regarding this and that is the source that counts.

Still, today, I am surprized at nothing with HP announcing that after only a month or so of trying to sell its TouchPad tablet, it was not only abandoning the WebOs-based tablet and cell phones, it was planning to leave the consumer PC business altogether. So much for my plan to buy a new HP desktop. I'd prefer that my computer maker be available for updates and service.

So, what do you guys and gals think the future holds for an updated FZ100--the big guy with the swivel screen, hot shoe, and a few other goodies the FZ47 doesn't have. Do we keep hoping for a replacement this year or do we get caught in another bout of wishful thinking like we did with the FZ50 replacement?
--

"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
— A.A. Milne

Vandyu's gear list:Vandyu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Nikon D80 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +9 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow