Nikon D90 or D5100 spec comparison

Started Aug 20, 2011 | Discussions thread
Polyglot92
Senior MemberPosts: 1,465
Like?
Re: Nikon D90 or D5100 spec comparison
In reply to LensLineup, Aug 21, 2011

LensLineup wrote:

I completely dismissed the D5000 due to the odd limitation of its rear LCD angle

It depends a lot on how and what you shoot. I came to the D5000 from a Canon S3 which has the same side articulation as the D5100 and was amazed to see how quickly I not only got used to flipping down rather than to the side, but that a actually prefer it bottom-hinged.

With the D5000 I only have to flip down the display 90 degrees both for shooting and for image review.

With the D5100 hinged at the side I would have to open it up to around 180 degrees. Which has the advantage that you can use it for self portraits even on a tripod, but it also sticks out and is less discrete. I have heard people say the display of the D5000 wouldn't open enough on their tripods. I have never had a problem with mine.

I guess it is very much a matter of personal preference. Either is a huge benefit over a fixed display, and if for nothing else at least for screen protection without putting an extra plastic cover or film over the wonderful 900.000 pixel display.

-- hide signature --

D5000 - Nikkor AF-S DX 18-105mm F/3.5-5.6G ED VR - Nikkor AF-S 50mm f/1.4 G - Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm VR - Canon PowerShot S3

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow