Started Aug 21, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
undercrimson
Regular MemberPosts: 139
Like?
Thoughts on the 24-70mm f/2.8
Aug 21, 2011

I just thought I'd offer a personal review of the 24-70mm f/2.8 lens. I realize there are plenty of reviews on it, but still I wanted to offer my own thoughts. This might help people make some purchasing decisions. Personally, I later sold the 24-70mm f/2.8 and replaced it with a 24mm f/1.4G and 85mm f/1.8D combo.

Here is the review with images: http://www.wispor.com/Photography/Nikon/thread.php?id=1136948945

The text is below, cheers.

I've been wanting to comment on this lens for a while now. My conclusion is that I'd recommend it only for professionals. It's considerably large and heavy - your shoulders will ache just carrying it around. Carefully consider your options:

-a small 35mm f/2D prime
-a small 50mm prime
-a pair of 24mm and 85mm primes
-a point-and-shoot camera (like the S95)
-a smaller zoom like the Tamron 18-270mm.
-and for the "real pros": go all out and dual-wield DSLRs with primes.

This lens reminds me of the even more massive 70-200mm f/2.8G telephoto. But categorically, they are similar. There is certainly a time and place for it. But for most casual shooters, there are other tools that will get the job done more elegantly.

I also want to note that f/2.8 is fast but not that fast. For covering dinner parties, concerts, and any evening event, you're still going to want a faster prime lens. The difference between f/1.4 and f/2.8 is 4x light. This 4x factor has to be made up for somewhere, such as by going from a usable ISO 800 to a grainy ISO 3200, or by going from a usable 1/40s shutter speed to a blurry 1/10s. When bystanders comment on how amazing the lens is, I often don't have the heart to tell them that a prime lens half the size would be able to take a photograph 4 times better.

The 24-70 is more of a specialty lens than one might imagine. It's probably not a good choice if you're looking for a general "travel lens," since it's so heavy. It's also not great for capturing candids, since it's large enough to be intimidating to people. For certain low-light event photography, it's not quite fast enough.

Nevertheless, this is arguably still an essential lens for event photography and photojournalism. The image quality is unquestionably good - sharp and contrasty. The build is metal and durable. The 24-70mm zoom excels in decently-lit fast-changing scenes where it's okay to be conspicuous. You'll just have to ask yourself though, what your intended purpose for this lens is and if that matches this len's characteristics.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow