ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Sylvain Larive
Forum MemberPosts: 88
Like?
Nikkor 35mm 1.8G focus problem
Aug 20, 2011

Greetings,

I have a friend who bought a used 35mm 1.8G lens and have been experiencing problems with her purchase. From what I've been told, it seems that the autofocus is very slow, like several seconds when going from near to far subjects. This has caused her to miss many shots. I have the same lens and it snaps from infinity to near in about 0.8 seconds.

She is using a D90 and initially I though (before she said it was acting slow ) that it might be contacts as I thought the lens was not reacting. However, in light of this new information, I am thinking the AF-S SWM motor has issues.

What do you guys think? I understand the thing to do is to send it back for repairs but since this is a used lens I just want to be sure before she does. I don't know how Nikon Canada handles second hand lens repairs. I had to send a Sigma once and I can only say good things about Gentec, the Canadian distributor, but I haven't dealt with Nikon yet. Wouldn't want to end up with a 200$ repair...

I told her to set the camera in single point focus and check the time to focus from infinity to near, check her contacts just to be sure (no rubbing of course) and look for mechanical signs of wear... I my mind though, it does look liks a SWM problem...

Regards,
Sylar

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow