sprint triathlons

Started Aug 13, 2011 | Discussions thread
maiaibing
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,537Gear list
Like?
Re: sprint triathlons
In reply to Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee, Aug 19, 2011

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee wrote:

I've done a lot of triathlon photography and you can use any lens (on full frame) from 80mm up.

I agree, if you are aiming at just getting a great shot of the event.

However, I've done a lot of sports photography photographing an individual player/athlete and its much, much easier to make sure you get good pictures of that one special person you are interested in if you use a a long telephoto, than taking your chance with a wide angle lens.

With a 300mm there is ample time to shot again and again and again and again, while the person is moving towards or at an angle to you. Not so when he/she get close and its all over in one or two seconds.

Also some of the best pictures are taken during the swimming and in the morning light - especially entry land fall and re-entry (if they do rounds). That's going to be at a distance.

The - excellent - wide angle shots shown below here are great. But frankly, they also underline the fact that the person who should be highlighted will easily get lost in the crowd. That's not what the OP wants.

Here, I would personally take, mount and position myself to use the 300 f/2.8 as much as possible.

maiaibing's gear list:maiaibing's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow