Ep3 vs 5dmk2..fun comparison

Started Aug 19, 2011 | Discussions thread
Kinematic Digit
New MemberPosts: 23Gear list
Like?
Re: Ep3 vs 5dmk2..fun comparison
In reply to Photohobbyfun, Aug 19, 2011

Photohobbyfun wrote:

I'm hoping the 45mm prime coming up is as good as this Panny-Leica and the Olympus 12mm.

I wasn't all that overwhelmed by the 12mm actually. But to be fair, I also own a very nice Canon EF 24L F/1.4L II.

But to point out the pluses on the 12mm. The images from them were very sharp, good contrast, and spectacular control over distortion. This lens is a winner as a landscape lens and if this becomes your primary system, then it's a great lens.

What I didn't like about it was the F/2.0 part of it. Shallow depth of field with this lens is really nice, and the bokeh is smooth, however you really need to get close to your subject to see much of that (like at an uncomfortable 2-3 feet). So it doesn't in my opinion quite make it a 24mm equivalent environmental portrait lens. I am very interested in seeing the 45 as well, but I really want to see the Voigtlander f/0.95 25mm on my system to see it's bokeh madness.

Another fail from Olympus is for a lens of this price, not to include the lens hood. Panasonic included the lens hood (albeit a plastic non flocked one) with their Leica 25.

Kinematic Digit's gear list:Kinematic Digit's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7 Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow