Started Aug 18, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Tandaina
Contributing MemberPosts: 568
Like?
Moving to Canon, body choice?
Aug 18, 2011

Well I've shot Minolta my entire life, but Minolta is no more and I just don't like what I see from Sony.

My husband shoots Canon so it makes sense to make the move anyway so we can share equipment, not spend 2x money on duplicating lenses, etc. Here's where I'm hoping for some advice. (I'd love to hear from other Minolta people who have moved to Canon.)

I currently shoot the Minolta 7D. I adore my 7D despite its creeping signs of age. Its only 6.1MP, and compared to my husband's 50d its dinosaur slow, but it still puts out images that take the breath away. And most importantly, I like the control layout. It fits my hands (despite being big, and I'm not), and every dang feature I need is controlled by a button or a dial.

I don't want a 60d which seems like a step back from the 50d, and definitely doesn't have the same solid feel of even my creaky old KM7D. So I've been concentrating on the 50D (what my husband shoots) which can be found fairly cheaply used, or a Canon 7D which is not so cheap but wow what a camera.

I am not enamored with way the 50D fits in my hand, something about the balance is decidedly off. I tend to cup the lens from underneath and let the camera balance (I shoot manual almost exclusively so holding the lens lets me focus quickly) and the 50D just doesn't hold naturally that way.

I think the control scheme on either would take some getting used to and serious adjustment. I can control my KM7D without looking and fingers only have to move a bit. (Example, there are TWO dials around the shutter release, one for aperture, one for shutter which feels so much more natural than having to move my thumb to the back dial on the 50D.)

Neither is cheap. Either is a huge change. I'd appreciate feedback on moving systems, these two cameras in comparison to one another (is it worth paying almost 2x to get the 7D?). I shoot mostly macro and lanscape photography and I'm enough of an old camera snob to almost want the 7D just because it doesn't have those annoying "creative" modes that scream "soccer mom camera."

Also, since I shoot mostly manual and prefer to manual focus I'm curious if the 7D's bigger brighter viewfinder might just make it worth the cost? Thoughts?

Thanks guys!
--
http://tandaina.smugmug.com/

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow