A strange Mirrorless Gear Journey

Started Aug 18, 2011 | Discussions thread
Marco Cinnirella
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,366Gear list
Like?
Re: A strange Mirrorless Gear Journey
In reply to GregGory, Aug 18, 2011

"Only RawTherapee seems to be able to extract Panasonic RAW files to look their best: "

Well, RT certainly pulls out more than Silkypix, but we don't have ACR/LR yet for G3 raws...

and part of the superiority of RT might be due to the use of deconvolution sharpening from within the RT menus - apparently this can be achieved in LR as well, something I didn't know.

GregGory wrote:

AdamT wrote:

Anyway a few things I'm seeing are puzzling .. this is all using RAW and the same RAW converter, Capture one V5

Only RawTherapee seems to be able to extract Panasonic RAW files to look their best: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=39074378

The sample is from a G3, but it seems to be the same story for every other Panasonic.

1:- the EPL1 is sharper than the G1 and GH1 with same lens (Panny 14-45) , quite a bit sharper in fact - I was expecting it to be the same. Moire is worse - it may even be a tad sharper than the NEX5 even and up to the old D70 AA weakness !!

Don't know if that's good on a 12Mp camera, but we do agree that Oly needed a less harsh AA filter than the EP1.

4:- the plastic mount version of the MK1 Kit lens is a lot sharper than the old EP1 version even taking AA filter into account , in fact it's TACK sharp wideopen and Matches the Panny at the wide end ! . my old EP1 one was as good as anyone elses and had no decentering issues or anything.

Some people have been complaining about the opposite, being the kit lens is still cr@p With (cheap) kit lenses, variance will always be a significant factor. If you have a good copy, then hold on to it!

6:- I always ran the EP1 at ISO200 as DR was severely compromised at ISO100 - but the Pannys were fine at ISO100 - I've not checked the EPL1 at ISO100 and was wondering how others found them ?

It's because Oly participated in the ISO-war, simple as that. If you multiply the rating by two, then you can write an impressive max ISO rating on the box.. Of course, you'd be screwing those of your customers who don't understand this (losing one stop of highlight in daylight), since the 'base' ISO 100 would be an electronically 'faked' ISO 50. DXO mark clearly shows this. But Oly hasn't been the only one in history to do this.

-- hide signature --

'If you can imagine sharing a waterbed with a baboon that's just been doused in itching powder.' J.C. reg. the suspension of the Lincoln Town Car '82

Marco Cinnirella's gear list:Marco Cinnirella's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony SLT-A57 Fujifilm X-E1 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow