WTF....I am seeing banding in D5100...for real?

Started Aug 18, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dandaroy
Regular MemberPosts: 135
Like?
WTF....I am seeing banding in D5100...for real?
Aug 18, 2011

OK, before you folks get all worked up, read this. I just got the Nikon D5100 with 18-55 mm lens. Amateur photographer, but not ignorant and quite picky. Fairly happy with the photos, but today I took some random photos of outside my house with the sky in it and I see banding in the sky when I look at the photo on two monitors (my laptop and on a Samsung 32" 1080p LCD tv). I can see faint but distinct bands in gradations of the sky color.

I am trying to upload the photos, but the uploader here is SLOW. I will post photos when I can. But what is going on here? I am shooting jpeg only set to FINE in standard mode with sharpness and contrast kicked up by a notch. The other aspects of the photos look great (sharpness, color, contrast, etc). Is this for real? What I can I do, if any to mitigate this? I have never seen this with my cheap Canon P&S.

I am using the kit 18-55 lens and shooting in Program, ISO 100 - 200, with a Hoya Super HMC UV(0) filter on the lens. I have not had time to tinker with the filter off, but I cannot imagine the filter giving me this problem.

Please advise. Thanks so much in advance!

The uploader here is slow so I uploaded to Google Picasa.....

https://picasaweb.google.com/115650319939950988858/2011_08_17#

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow