Turning of AGC on 60D when using external mic?

Started Aug 17, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
osalmighty
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Turning of AGC on 60D when using external mic?
Aug 17, 2011

Hey everyone,

Let me explain the problem here. A while ago i bought a 60D mainly because i can make photo's and film at the same time. So like a week ago when i had enough money for an external microphone "rode videomic" I faced a few problems.

As i turned on the mic and connected everything as how it should be i noticed a "hissing" noise in my recordings. I tracked every option down, putting audio to manual on the camera, lowering the DB on the Rode mic itself etc etc.

This didn't work offcourse.

Now i've noticed that the hissing sound is because of the built in AGC in the canon 60D and some other models. "correct me if Im wrong"

Again i searched down the web and i was already familliar with a kind of firmware update called lantern. I did some research and found out that turning AGC off is possible on the lantern firmware.

My question to the helpfull people around those forums, what is the advice that you guys give me?

Update the firmware to something im not familliar with? or let this mic stay in the corner of my room to get dusty and buy a zoom h4n?

Thnx in advance !

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow