Why did you buy Micro Four Thirds in the first place?

Started Aug 13, 2011 | Discussions thread
AdamT
Forum ProPosts: 56,415Gear list
Like?
It was the EP-1
In reply to contaxndigital, Aug 17, 2011

It was the EP-1 - The combination of a compact body with a large sensor and interchangeable lenses which did it - Yeah, the lenses were limited, being 4/3 was far from even D90 level performance at high ISOs and it made more racket when firing than a lot of SLRs (Including a few Olys) but offered a quality in that size cam which only the DP1 or DP2 could pull off in very good light with a LOT of patience .. I had that EP1 for a year and a half and didn't regret one Iota Paying the Full launch price for it - or that of the SUPERB Panasonic 20mm F1.7 either ........ I've got an X100 now for the work part that camera covered as it's incomparibly better at high ISOs and doesn't make a sound (the EP1s second biggest drawback) - a NEX-5 for the leisure side (far better sensor, great for Manual focus stuff and a good cheap 24mm FOV Prime thrown in for next to nothing)

The range added the EPL1 which sorted the soft AA filter and no flash business (the AA far the more important of the two) and even improved the already superb JPG engine but I feel Oly stopped still after that, the EP2 was an EP1 + VF port - the EPL2 is an EPL1 + the LCD they all should have had from the beginning + a naff rear dial (not the nice one) - the EPL3 an EPL2 in slimmer form - EP3 an EP2 with the EPL1's benefits etc etc - none of them have the G3 sensor or even the old GH1 one sadly ....... Panny are stripping models down more and more, dropped their only decent kit zoom and still no IBIS.

An EP3 with the G3 sensor would be very nice but Panny wouldn't sell another GF camera if they sold Oly the sensor (probably few G cams either) .

Just my Opinion of course - as I said, I didn't regret a single penny of the EP1 launch price even when parting with it for relatively next to nothing. it was the real breakthrough the G1 never was.

-- hide signature --

A Problem is only the pessimistic way of looking at a challenge

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Sigma DP1 Fujifilm X-S1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon Coolpix P330 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow