Another Samyang 8mm lens on an A55(pics)

Started Aug 17, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ron Co
Senior MemberPosts: 1,566
Like?
Another Samyang 8mm lens on an A55(pics)
Aug 17, 2011

For some time I have been wanting something wider than the 16-105 mm for use in our forest area. parts of which are very overgrown and closed in , particularly our small waterfall area .

I finally succumbed to the temptation based on pics seen here and got the Samyang 8mm - got to say it is good value for the dollar (About $360 delivered from Poland to Tasmania) a week after I ordered it I saw an ebay supplier in Brisbane for slightly less but to late and besides the Poles are nice folks)

The lens is simplicity itself , no contacts , set the camera to fire without lens , point , frame shoot in A mode

One of the nice things is the ability to handhold it at very low shutter speeds (the old inverse law at work 8mm = 1/8th second no worries )

Heavy rain predicted today so I drove down to the gully first thing this morning and knocked off a hundred shots including about 8 video clips ,also all handheld

3 videos and about 20-30 images on flickr from this morning and yesterday walking around Hobart -I picked the lens up from the Post office on the way shopping

I was pleased to see little fringing except in extreme contrast , the detail is quite good and if you keep control of it the usual gross distortions are not as hard to control as with some fisheye lenses , they are there if you want to use them of course

one sample , all images were JPEGs straight from the camera with no treatment except resizing for the internet use

thanks for looking , ideas for use welcome

Ron

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow