Do you always have a filter on your lens?

Started Aug 16, 2011 | Discussions thread
dkadc
Forum MemberPosts: 90Gear list
Like?
Re: Do you always have a filter on your lens?
In reply to Rich Z, Aug 16, 2011

I have a filter on every lens...but I won't anymore.

I realized how stupid it was to protect a $100 kit lens with a $50+ filter.

My 14-54, 70-300, 24mm f/1.8 and 30mm f/1.4 all have filters. But even then I question if it was a good idea, the money spent on filters could have purchased another lens! Especially that sigma f1.8, which uses a 77mm filter, amazing how
one piece of flat coated glass commands such insane prices!

Sometimes I wish I would take the filter off just to make sure nothing gets in the way of a once in a lifetime image. For instance, the shots I took of the space shuttle Endeavor on its final night launch have filter reflections. Granted, thats an extreme situation, but darn it...

But ONE nice thing about always having a filter on the lens is RESALE VALUE. Used lenses that always had a filter are always in pristine condition.
--

Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

dkadc's gear list:dkadc's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Sigma 24mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
YeahNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow