Started Aug 14, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Darryl E Mylrea
Regular MemberPosts: 194
Like?
Epson 4900 or 3880?
Aug 14, 2011

Looking to replace my aging R1800, I was looking at the current crop of printers, had my sights on the 3880, and then wandered over to the Professional Imaging site on Epson.com. There, I saw the Pro 4900 and after some research, saw that baby could be had for as low as $1149, shipped free (ATLEX.COM)

I was considering something like the 3880, but with the discounts the 4900 is even cheaper than the 3880!

I'm NOT a professional, just a long-time, avid hobbyist with a flair for the extravagant.

If anything, I see this as a learning tool to help be get better! (good excuse, huh?)

My question is this--is the 4900 TOO professional for someone like me? It's a great deal, to be sure, but I don't want to buy something that I'll end up not being able to use.

Comparing the 3880 vs. 4900, what are the advantages of the 3880 over the 4900 (ie, why would I want a 3880 instead of the 4900)?

Also...the Designer Edition w/ EFI eXpress RIP. Worthwhile or not? I have both a current i7 27" iMac and a high-end Windows PC so the RIP should be able to work on both platforms?

Thanks for any advice!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
4900New
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow