Panasonic 7-14mm f/4 -- A very versatile lens! (Photographs)

Started Aug 14, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
richj20
Senior MemberPosts: 1,806
Like?
Panasonic 7-14mm f/4 -- A very versatile lens! (Photographs)
Aug 14, 2011

I've had the Panasonic 7-14mm f/4 lens for a few weeks and have thoroughly enjoyed using it on my Panasonic G3. This lens is a nice complement to the Panasonic-Leica 45mm f/2.8 -- in fact, they are almost the same size, and weigh within 3 oz. of each other, the 7-14 being the heavier.

This means that the G3 with the 7-14mm mounted will fit into the same small belt holster that I use for carrying the camera with the 45mm lens mounted. They are the two lenses I use the most. The lens not in use fits easily into one of the lens pockets of my vest, or in a small shoulder bag, whichever I'm using at the moment.

While cosmetics doesn't have anything to do with the picture-taking capabilities of a lens, I was attracted to the design as fitting for my G3. Like the 45mm, it balances very nicely, and the grip on the G3 is perfect for my hand, permitting me to easily carry the camera (using a wrist strap) with either of those lenses mounted.

The zoom ring is very solid so that it can't be accidently moved. The zooming is internal, so that the length of the lens doesn't change. The manual focus ring is nicely damped, although not quite as silky as that on the 45mm f/2.8. The permanently-mounted hood was a good forethought, since it's always there to protect the bulbous-shaped lens.

So far, I've not found anything to complain about with either of these lenses.

With these two lenses, I've completed part of my downsizing from a DSLR system which included UWA and Macro lenses. The size and weight differences are quite noticeable and much appreciated, especially while hiking!

In the next three posts, I've included some photographs taken with the 7-14mm lens in the past couple of weeks. It's a fun lens to use!

Regards,

Richard

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow