Started Aug 13, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Hooley
Forum MemberPosts: 97
Like?
Camera Obscura - A World Apart
Aug 13, 2011

I own a Canon 60D. That's no surprise given the forum I am writing this. Today and completely unplanned, I visited the camera Obscura that overlooks Douglas, the capital of the Isle of Man, where I live. I love my 60D with all it's technical wizardry and electronic level but there was still something fascinating about the Victorian Obscura, despite it being quite simple by today's standards. Built in 1892, it as 12 lenses giving a 360 degree view of it's surroundings. At the door was a good old Manxman "Come to have a look have ya fella, it's only a couple of quid" as he chomped on his sandwich. As I walked around it, in complete darkness except for the dim light from the viewing plates, I thought about the complete wonder the visiting Victorians must have felt as they looked at the images in front of them. I'm all into modern day gadgetry but as I get older (I'm 33 now), I find myself becoming more and more interested in the way things used to be done. The Victorians. They were a smart lot and with nowhere near the technology we have today. Who knows, without them, we may not have the 60D. I know this thread has no relation to a 60D other than the fact I own one but nobody said we always had to discuss Canons and the latest lenses

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow