Started Aug 13, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Eurodynamica
Regular MemberPosts: 138Gear list
Like?
External GPS Report FWIW
Aug 13, 2011

Just an update on the results of my recent wailings re: lack of GPS on Canon DSLRs My search has led me to buy a Qstarz BT-Q1000XT external GPS. This is a device about the size of a cell phone battery by 3/4" deep, and it is inobtrusive in your pocket.

For about $100 the thing grabs on to GPS signals within about 30 seconds and sticks as tight as glue. Battery life is said to be 42 hours. I haven't tried that long yet. It is a Nokia cellphone battery

You have to, of course, match the cameras picture and GPSs position by timestamp on a computer. The recent version of their software works flawlessly with my Windows 7 64 bit laptop, but won't add data to a RAW picture. For that, you have to go to GeoSetter, which is freeware with a suggested donation. This process is, of course, an extra step, and that would be my chief reservation, particularly because you can get momentarily confused by setting camera time, time zones and daylight saving.

All in all, better performance than what I hear from camers with internal GPS units, the one unit works with all my cameras, and I now know where I took that picture.

Eurodynamica's gear list:Eurodynamica's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX200V Nikon Coolpix AW110 Canon EOS 450D Sony SLT-A37 +1 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow