DPP doesn't have a genuine Exposure control?

Started Aug 13, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
_GUI_
Regular MemberPosts: 386
Like?
DPP doesn't have a genuine Exposure control?
Aug 13, 2011

First I must say I am not a DPP user, never installed it. But in other forum someone provided images processed with DPP, the original and the resulting from adjusting 'Bright' and 'Exposure', and I analyzed the before vs after to obtain the curves (level arrangements) that produced the output from the input.

I already did this for ACR and Photoshop Exposure, Bright, Contrast,... in this article: http://www.guillermoluijk.com/article/acrps/index.htm , and everything was as expected (the Exposure control is a straight line curve starting from (0,0) both in ACR and Photoshop, a genuine Exposure correction).

But in DPP it doesn't happen like this:

Bright in DPP:

Exposure in DPP:

Conclusions:

• What DPP calls Bright, is like the old Bright control in Photoshop CS2, a totally unrecommended adjustment since it destroys highlights information and washes the shadows when pushed, and clips the shadows when reduced

• What DPP calls Exposure, is a curve like Bright in ACR and Photoshop CS3 and above, and is not a genuine Exposure adjustment

• A genuine Exposure adjustement in DPP simply doesn't exist (!!!)

Is it possible that DPP doesn't have a proper Exposure control like this?

If you shoot for instance ISO100 1/500 f/4, and then shoot again ISO100 1/1000 f/4, and develop both RAW files with the same settings in DPP but pushing the second by +1EV, don't you get exactly the same image?

Regards

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow