Mac Pro hard drive replacement... advice please!

Started Aug 12, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Adam Duckworth
Regular MemberPosts: 175Gear list
Like?
Mac Pro hard drive replacement... advice please!
Aug 12, 2011

Hi fellow DPers

I have an Intel 2007 Mac pro, and the main hard drive is only 250GB. So I want to put in a larger one, say 1TB. (The other three slots inside already have 1TB drives in)

So all my applications, mail etc are on the normal 250GB Mac HD.

I use SuperDuper and have a copy of the HD on a separate Lacie 8TB Big Quadra.

So, if I buy a new 1TB HD, what is the procedure? In layman's terms, please! Putting the new drive in is no probs, as I did the 1TB drives by following Apple instructions. It's the software/ OS bit.

I have Googled but everyone says things like "make sure your external disc is bootable from, then just format the new disc in disc utilites and boot up from the copy on the external drive.. or use your OSX startup disc."

Which is fine if you're a Mac tech head and know what that all means, but I'm obviously not!

If I use Max OSX start up CD, what about all the programs I have in applications? And is it the start up disc I got with the mac, or the OSX leopard disc I bought to upgrade?

Or do I do it all from the Lacie and don't need the OSX disc? Or shall I use Time Machine to copy the original HD to another external drive and boot up form that? Then what do I do?

Any tips on a particular new Hard drive to buy?

Help please!

Thanks

Adam Duckworth

Adam Duckworth's gear list:Adam Duckworth's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D7000 Nikon D4 +31 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow