Some Galapagos pics w/7D

Started Jul 29, 2011 | Discussions thread
Michael Ma
Contributing MemberPosts: 512Gear list
Like?
Re: Some Galapagos pics w/7D
In reply to Darth Homer, Aug 12, 2011

Just my 2 cents. When shooting in harsh daylight, both recovery of blown highlights and brighten up the shadows would do a lot. I would shoot in raw and process them in Adobe Camera Raw.

Pic #1

Shallower DOF to remove focus of the distracting hay in the background. During post process, I would bring out he detail in the wings by increasing the brightness of the shadows. Also, maybe the white feathers are blown out. I would recover those highlights. In the composition, is there a reason the bird is acting in this manner? Maybe I would like to see what is in front of him.

Pic #2

I would recover the highlights and then brighten up the brown shadows. Bring out the detail in the feathers by increasing the clarity a lot.

Pic #3

Maybe I would have tried to get the seal's attention so he looked at me directly. Then I would just try to go in for a portrait shot and remove the body out of the photo..

Pic #4

I think this picture has 2 subjects that are distracting to eachother. I would shoot the two on the left separately. Then I would shoot the one on the right by himself.

Pic #5

When in doubt, see 4. Hehe. Seriously though, just crop the people out, and it is already a much better picture.

Pic #9

I would have waited to see if the turtle looked at the woman, so that you can capture a picture as if the turtle and the woman was having a conversation.

Pic #10

Definitely I would go as deep as possible without losing detail. F/11 to get everything in focus, then increase the clarity to accentuate the detail in the scales.

Michael Ma's gear list:Michael Ma's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow