ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Timothy R Butler
Regular MemberPosts: 141Gear list
Like?
Deciding on a lens to improve my system
Aug 11, 2011

Hi everyone,

I was generously given some money earmarked especially for buying a lens. As such, I've been trying to think of what sort of lens would most improve what I can do with my camera. Right now I have the 17-85 IS, 70-300 IS and 50mm f/1.4.

I've been mostly leaning towards either the Sigma 50-500 OS or 150-500 OS, since I'd love to improve my ability to take wildlife. On the other hand, I'm intrigued by the quality of L lenses and have been looking at some of the more affordable L zooms.

Today, when I went to the camera store to look at the 150-500 again, the salesperson showed me a used 80-200 f/2.8L (made in 1991) that he recommended I consider. He suggested that plus a Canon 2x extender would still have excellent image quality and that without the extender the f/2.8L would be a clearly superior choice at a price similar to the Bigma OS. They want $950 for the f/2.8L, with 30-day warranty; it looks like it is in excellent condition.

Thoughts on which way I should go, between the lenses I mention above and perhaps something else I've overlooked? Should I even consider the used f/2.8L?

Thanks!

-- hide signature --

Tim Butler, asisaid.com

Timothy R Butler's gear list:Timothy R Butler's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX130 IS Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS M Canon EOS 70D
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow