Started Aug 8, 2011 | Discussions thread
mikiev
Senior MemberPosts: 1,091Gear list
Like?
Don't underestimate usefulness of EVF
In reply to Karsten Meyer, Aug 10, 2011

Karsten Meyer wrote:

Hi,

I would never buy an A35 because the display is fix glued to the back of the camera. A33 would be better.

Take a NEX if you:

• want it as small as possible,

• want to use old manual focus lenses

• want to shoot unnoticed (the tilting display is ideal for that)

Take an Axx if you:

• need fast AF

• need a viewfinder

• want to use A-Mount lenses. These lenses might be bigger, but they all should AF, some of them are quite cheap.

• need flash

Nice breakdown - and I care because I am looking to replace my Nikon DSLR with either a NEX or a SLT.

I was just out shooting a stitched-panorama with my Nikon, and with the sun behind me - and my camera on a tripod - it was impossible to review ["chimp"] my initial shot [I was focusing manually through the OVF] on the rear screen without taking the camera off the tripod... so an EVF is something I would almost certainly want in my new camera.

I had been leaning toward NEX for smaller size, and am waiting to see if rumors of EVF on NEX-5 replacement and/or NEX-7 hold true.

Handled a NEX and SLT at the store = liked auto-switch between screen and EVF on SLT. Also liked quieter shutter and SSS on SLT.

But NEX-5 sure feels better in my hand.

May not be an issue for you, but inexpensive lens adapter to use my existing Nikon lenses - at least until I transition to "native" glass - is a plus for the NEX.
Decisions, decisions...

-- hide signature --

mikiev's gear list:mikiev's gear list
Epson Stylus Photo R2880
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow