Interview with Sally Smith Clemens

Started Aug 8, 2011 | Discussions thread
Peter 1745
Contributing MemberPosts: 514
Like?
Re: You've really nailed it...
In reply to daddyo, Aug 10, 2011

daddyo wrote:

Ultimately, I would hope that they will offer a full size, mirrorless body that will balance with 4/3's glass.

I think that is what Olympus hoped to do. Unfortunately they have found that they can't make existing 4/3 PDAF lenses focus rapidly with mirrorless CDAF and have given up trying ("capitulated" was the word used but that was after translation from Japanese> English> Russian> English). These lenses have the wrong focus motors, wrong electronics and heavy focusing elements.

Olympus have 2 options

1. Continue to make mirrored bodies

2. Find a way to make mirrorless cameras PDAF. They could use on sensor PDAF possibly using their recent IR focusing patent.

In the great scheme of things there aren't that many Olympus HG and SHG lens users out there so I think it will be cheaper and more profitable for them to continue to make mirrored bodies.

Nikon and Canon on the other hand have hords of high end lens users. When they go mirrorless they will have a greater motivation to get their lenses to work and are more likely to get the 2nd option to work.

I don't think the E-5 is the last 4/3 body. In due course I expect a re-sensored E-30 and then a re-sensored E-5.

-- hide signature --

Regards,

Peter
'Keep taking the photos'

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow