Started Aug 7, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Antoine Palade
Contributing MemberPosts: 589
Like?
Bought Ep-3 instead of Fuji X100
Aug 7, 2011

I have been trying to decide between the new Ep-3 and the Fuji X100 for a while, read all reviews, etc...

After trying the Ep-3 over on weekend, I was sold and bought one. My main two reasons were:

• The fixed lens issue on the X100. 35mm-equivalent only is too limiting for my needs, and I prefer the option of having different lenses.

• The auto-focus on the Ep-3 is that good that anything less wouldn't do. I found the auto-focus on the Ep-3 gets out of the way of shooting and doesn't limit your choices. I noticed that 99% of photos taken on the X100 are of subjects that are relatively still, which I find too limiting.

I understand that the X100 produces very nice images and has better ISO performance than the Ep-3. However, there's no point in it if you are limited to what you can shoot because of the average auto-focus performance and, for me anyway,you are limited to one single focal length, as the X100 does. Having said that, the Ep-3 is no slouch. 3200 ISO is usable and will do just fine for me, especially as I mainly shoot in daylight, and I'm very happy with the photos the Ep-3 puts out.

The shutter speed limitation on the X100 also disappointed me. 1/4000th of a second is not available at f/2. Having to use an ND filter to compensate also sounds like an afterthought to me.

So no regrets for me. Maybe the X200... but for now, the Ep-3 is a better solution for me.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow