Is the NEX 7 real?

Started Aug 6, 2011 | Discussions thread
viztyger
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,251Gear list
Like?
Re: Micro Four Thirds Not Necessarily 4:3 Aspect Sensor
In reply to Kiril Karaatanasov, Aug 7, 2011

Kiril Karaatanasov wrote:

However for me m43 is a joke. The sensor shape and size are most inappropriate for digital photography. There are very sound physiological and physics reason for this.

I won't get into the sensor size argument; there are obviously advantages and disadvantages of the smaller Micro Four Thirds sensor. But the shape of the sensor - I assume you mean the 4:3 aspect ratio here - isn't fixed in the Micro Four Thirds standard.

The standard specifies the diameter of the imaging circle and not the aspect ratio. In fact, the sensor of both the current GH2 and its predecessor do not have an aspect ratio of 4:3. The sensor is in fact very close to 3:2.

I made a diagram to show how the various aspect ratios are derived from the GH2's sensor:
http://www.bmupix.com/journal/2010/9/21/gh2-my-next-camera.html

It is not random that 35mm film is 3:2 ratio. There is reason why TVs are now made 16:9 instead of 4:3. There is reason why movie format is even wider. Think how your eyes are situated on your head - think how you perceive a portrait and a landscape picture. 43s will require crop more often then 3:2 right?

While I also generally prefer a 3:2 over a 4:3 aspect ratio, I base my choice on the subject I am about to capture.

Also consider when you shoot video on the m43 camera how much of the sensor is used - 1/2 - Wow! not only is the sensor 50% smaller to start with but 50% of it is not used. It is just about half the size of the APS-C sensor when shooting video. Did you consider this?

Again using the sensor of the GH1/GH2 which is Panasonic's hybrid stills/video camera, video is derived from 76% of the total sensor area. That's very close to a 16:9 crop from Sony's 3:2 sensor (84% from the active area and of course less from the total sensor area).

Also, unlike the majority of cameras without a multi-aspect sensor, the GH cameras use the full imaging circle at 16:9. So it's a more efficient use of the lens.

Right now I don't think sensor size is the most critical difference between the two systems. For any given focal length, a Micro Four Thirds lens can be made more compact and/or optically superior and/or brighter than its Sony NEX equivalent due to the smaller sensor diagonal. There is also a significantly larger selection of MFT lenses to choose from.

The most critical thing for the NEX system is therefore an updated lens roadmap. Not all of us will buy a presumably expensive NEX-7 with the 24mm Zeiss lens unless we know that Sony plans to support the enthusiast market down the road. That means good lenses.
--
Björn

http://www.bmupix.com

viztyger's gear list:viztyger's gear list
Sony RX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 NEX5R Sony Alpha 7R Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow