Started Aug 3, 2011 | Discussions thread
tom
tom
Senior MemberPosts: 2,717
Like?
Re: Don't agree
In reply to rtrski, Aug 6, 2011

rtrski wrote:

The biggest concern I have with body size is that the grip doesn't feel solid (and I'm superstitious about the mount strength, for that matter) if I have to briefly switch grips with my left hand while supporting the camera with the right only. I usually have a wrist strap to supplement the right-hand grip, but still...with a long zoom, if I want to change my left hand grip between zoom ring and using the 'tripod support' as an actual handle grip (there's a reason the Sigma 150-500mm tripod support has molded finger shapes in it) I just don't trust all that length/weight torquing on the tiny a55 body. With a beefier body, I could.

Maybe that's just superstition though, like I said. I should probably rotate the tripod handle (when i'm not using a tripod, which should be obvious) to the 'top' and use it as a carry handle, then force myself to always support and handle by the zoom ring when in the shooting position.

What I used to do with my Maxxum 7 and Sigma 135-400 was have the strap on my left shoulder and go across my body so I could carry the camera at my right hip. I had the strap long enough that I could take the tripod foot attached to the lens and stick it inside my pants belt. The belt took the weight off of the strap and the camera lens mount (and my shoulder), and I would stabilize it all by keeping my right hand on the camera grip. Then when I wanted to shoot, it was simple to lift the camera to my eye and then support the lens with my left hand. For a larger lens like a 300 f/2.8, I would attach a strap to the tripod mount. I'd still try to keep the strap across my chest with the camera to the side since I don't like having it around my neck with the camera playing pendulum every time I bend over.

tom

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow