Which lens first? 70-200 f2.8 IS II or 135 f2 or 85 f1.2?

Started Aug 4, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Syrinx2112
New MemberPosts: 12Gear list
Like?
Which lens first? 70-200 f2.8 IS II or 135 f2 or 85 f1.2?
Aug 4, 2011

Howdy, folks.

I have an EOS 60D and I'm ready to get my first piece of L glass. I have read virtually every review out there for each of these lenses and I just can't make up my mind which one of these awesome beasts to get first.

So, I'll describe my primary uses and hopefully someone who has faced this dilemma before can shed some insight.

The reason I bought the camera is to take pictures of my daughter in 2 different settings and 5 different environments.
Setting 1 - Marching Band/Color Guard:

1. Under the floodlights at an outdoor football stadium with me on the sidelines.
2. Broad daylight at an outdoor football stadium with me on the sidelines.
3. Indoor gymnasium under sports lighting with me in the stands.

Setting 2 - Orchestra Performances:
1. Fairly well-lit stage in an auditorium.

2. Poorly lit orchestra pit for musicals, but with lots of localized light on her face from the stand light.

I definitely plan on acquiring all these lenses eventually, but I'm not ready to drop $6,000 at once. I have enough saved to get any one of these lenses now, so I'd love to hear suggestions on which one to get first - especially from those who have had to make a similar decision.

Thanks so much!

Syrinx2112's gear list:Syrinx2112's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow