Started Aug 4, 2011 | Discussions thread
bhollis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,471Gear list
Like?
Re: Best 50mm lens for 550 Canon
In reply to Helane, Aug 4, 2011

Helane wrote:

Hi Ya all,

I am a beginner and would like to know the best 50mm lens for my 550 Canon Eos, Price is not an issue but getting a really good lens is, any ideas for me?
Many Thanks
Helane

If you're a beginner, I recommend against sinking lots of money into expensive gear initially. You just don't know enough yet to know what you really need or want.

Why 50mm? Are you looking for a normal/general purpose focal length? If so, then 35mm is probably a better choice on your camera. On your camera, 50mm is probably best suited to portraiture. Is that why you want a 50mm? If so, then I'd recommend either the EF 50 f/1.4, or the Sigma 50 f/1.4 (better optically than the Canon lens, but some copies have AF issues). Or, if you want to give a 50mm a whirl on the cheap, and still get quite good results, try the EF 50 f/1.8 (built like a toy, but makes nice pictures, and only costs about $100). As noted above, though, I recommend against your investing in a 50L or other similar high end lens at this point.

bhollis's gear list:bhollis's gear list
Sony RX1R Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow