ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
John Basso
Senior MemberPosts: 2,350Gear list
Like?
A Unique Fishing Village,Called URK.
Aug 3, 2011

Hello There:

In June this year I made a trip to Holland a country where I was born.Although Canada is now my home,it is always nice to trace the old Homestead.

The photo's in this posting are from a former Island,called Urk.This was before the damming of the Zuider Zee (Southern Sea) also called now the IJselmeer ,since in reality it now a lake.Urk still is an important fishing community.Although it is now part of the mainland via the in 1939 completed ,,Dyke' from Urk to Lemmer. They created the ,,Polder Flevoland' In between other ,,Polders they left lots of water for the fishing fleet.

The first picture is the Light House in Urk.The second: a cold glass of beer awaiting me since it was 32 Celsius that day!The third is the laundry drying outside . An old Urker tradition this is alway's on Monday.As you can see these fishermen's houses are very small.The last three :A boat with eel nets .A look through the nets and the drying of them.

I hope this is not to much for you to read and perhaps someday you to might have a chance to visit this very unique beautiful village. Many Rgards,John Basso.

John Basso's gear list:John Basso's gear list
Leica D-Lux 6
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow