Started Aug 2, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
holyfan
Forum MemberPosts: 98
Like?
Advice on using VF for X100
Aug 2, 2011

Before I got the X100 roughly 3 weeks ago, I've been shooting on GF2, EPL2, and XZ-1 etc, and I shot photos with them using the back screen instead of an optional VF.

Then I found out that in bright outdoor scenes it was difficult to see the back display on my E-PL2 and so I thought I would get the excellent hybrid VF X100 instead.

Now here is my problem, I'm 6'3" and I live in Southeast Asia, where 99% of the populartion is between 5'1" to 5'8". And at least 70% of my photos are of people while 30% are landscape or random things. So most of the time when I compose using the VF, the angle of my shot is always tilting down at the people because I'm much taller than everyone else. And most of my photos are not in a studio so it is a lot of hassle to kneel up and down for each shot (street or candid portraits). So then I realized that in the past 3 weeks, I almost rarely use the VF for most of my photos because the angle of the photo just wouldn't look good.

Although I still love the low-light ability of the X100 and the jpeg color and it is certainly better than my E-PL2, but it also costs much more, and my feeling is that most of the price difference goes to the excellent hybrid viewfinder.

With the new E-P3 OLED display, how would OLED display look in bright outdoors comparing to E-PL2? and also the display of the NEX 5? I am happy with the photos I get from the X100, but now I feel like I can't justify price of the hybrid VF since I don't use it as much as I wanted. How does a tall photographer use a VF in street photography? I guess someone around 6'7" in the U.S. would probably experience similar problem I am facing in Southeast Asia. Any suggestions is welcomed and appreciated.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow