Yikes - been asked to do a portrait shoot.. paid... help please :)

Started Aug 1, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
hayles91
Forum MemberPosts: 63
Like?
Yikes - been asked to do a portrait shoot.. paid... help please :)
Aug 1, 2011

OK so I've been asked by a mum of one of my son's nursery friends if I would do some professional portrait shots for her....she said she'll pay as was going to get some done anyway, which is great, but I seriously need an injection of confidence and a bit of advice as I obviously want to jump at the opportunity.

Question is really more of what environment to shoot in.... I'm not sure yet whether she's expecting some nice quite candid (or even posed) shots maybe outside with natural lighting, natural backgrounds etc (which is fine) or if she is expecting more of a 'formal studio' enviornment and shots.

I'm thinking she's expecting the latter so don't want to disappoint. So.....

I have a speedlight (SB-900) with my Nikon D90 (although i've not really had much opportunity to try this out much since I bought it so don't know my way around it very well yet), plus 2 new lights & softboxes that are turning up in the next few days, but nothing in the way of a backdrop / background for your classic 'white background' shots.

Is it worth getting pro' backgrounds or can I do this as well in PS? (PSE 7). I don't really know where to start without spending more money on additional props etc as just spend over £2k on new lense, lights etc & currently no income to show for it.

Don't get me wrong, I've not put that investment in for a 'business' but the idea is to eventually have some form of income from my photography so I don't want to heavily invest if it is unneccessary.

Any advise would be truly gratefully received.

Thanks!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow