Started Jul 30, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Marco Cinnirella
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,322Gear list
Like?
Struggling with 45-200
Jul 30, 2011

Try as I might, I am still struggling with this lens over 100mm setting - just can't get sharp images. Today, for example, went out with the kids and tried to take some images of them playing in a playground. Auto ISO, f8 to start with. AF-S, small centre square setting. Shots not sharp. So I keep ISO on AUTO, dial in 1/1000 shutter speed and let the cam choose aperture. Shots still really soft. Change to AF-C. Then try it with OIS off. Maybe I have a bad copy or maybe my technique sucks, but I'm finding it real hard to feel the love for the lens at 100-200mm settings.

Example - G3, ISO 250, 1/1000, f5.6, OIS off, AF-C, small centre AF point selected, focus on eye then re-compose technique. This is after PP sharpening by the way, and is shot from raw and developed in Silkypix:-

Looks OK at this size. But look at a 100% crop of the face - it might be in focus but it's not that sharp is it? It's OK, but given how much this G3 sensor can resolve, it's not great.

Now what's puzzling me is that the t-shirt writing looks better...

THis was shot at a range of about 25 feet at 200mm (400mm 35mm equivalent). Is DOF really so small at f5.6 that the t-shirt text can be in focus and the face not? I tried my best to focus on his right eye.

Marco Cinnirella's gear list:Marco Cinnirella's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony SLT-A57 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow