Started Jul 29, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Chris43
Contributing MemberPosts: 572Gear list
Like?
Printer Article - Profile Question
Jul 29, 2011

I hope this doesn't sound too stupid, but in the latest Printer workflow article quite a lot is made about monitor and printer profiles. The example given is printing from Photoshop.

I get the bit about monitor profiles so that what you look at is what you actually took as a photo, or have modified to to look as you really want it to look like. And obviously you want the printer you have to print colours on the paper in exactly the same way.

I have a Canon printer (ip4850) which came with printing software, so rather than printing directly from Photoshop, I can save my image and then load it in the Canon software, choose the appropriate Canon printing paper, and off it goes. I think it does a pretty good job of reproducing what I see on my monitor.

Can anyone confirm for me that this software loads the appropriate printer profile for the paper selected, and I don't need to worry about any other printer profile, unless I am using a non-Canon supported paper (which basically means not a Canon one!). It seems logical that it should, but sometimes such simple logic is flawed. And is there an advantage of printing directly from Photoshop?

I can see potentially that if I have a RAW image, then there will be absolutely no loss of data, and the Canon software does print only from jpegs, but a high quality jpeg shouldn't lose much - or does it?

Chris43's gear list:Chris43's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Google Nexus 7
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow