I can't see my focus point illuminate :(

Started Jul 25, 2011 | Discussions thread
nelsonal
Senior MemberPosts: 2,460Gear list
Like?
Re: Technique
In reply to CaseySRT, Jul 28, 2011

I'm color-blind, so need to rely on more tools to help with stuff like this.

Here's your photo with a curves (and histogram).

A histogram is a count of the pixels (in this case I think it's the average) so 0,0,0 (dark black) is a 0 (far left) and 255,255,255 (bright white--like their t-shirts) is 255 (far right) See on the far right hand side that bar that goes all the way to the top? That's indicating that, the most prominant color in the photo is bright white, which is a very good indicator that they've "clipped" or been reduced from even higher levels to 255, which is the maximum color value for a jpg.

Clipping is bad, because if something that should be white but have detail would have detail at imaginary values of 270-280, none of those details are going to show up. Your camera should have the ability to display a historgram (ideally 3 histograms-one for red, green, and blue) to show when large portions of any are outside of the range.

It appears that your camera metered off the majority of the frame which was mostly the trees in the background, and decided that was where the limited range should be used. This is a case where you probably want to spot meter on the woman's face, and after locking the exposure, re-frame and focus. That would have the added advantage of darkening the forest details so they ideally are less competiive for the viewers attention with the couple (and even more ideally push the viewer's eye down to the couple below).

You may want to consider a new focusing screen one with lines scored into the glass to increase the contrast at some of the key focus points.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow