WB in film

Started Jul 28, 2011 | Discussions thread
kenw
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,202Gear list
Like?
Re: WB in film
In reply to Doug Pardee, Jul 28, 2011

Doug Pardee wrote:

The answers above are good ones. But I think that the most common approach was: "Who cares?" White balance simply wasn't a major concern.

Yes, absolutely true for a lot of photography. Studio photographers cared of course, as did many product photographers for catalogs - but they all shot in controlled environments where WB was relatively easy. For most everyone else close was good enough. And for the vast majority of print photographers the WB was left to the one-hour photo machine which was essentially AWB. If you couldn't shoot in a controlled environment and had to do accurate WB life was a big pain in the neck.

These days it is easy to do right, or at least a whole lot better. Sometimes though when reading these forums I wonder if some folks are missing the forest for the trees, I see a number of cases of people obsessing over complicated calibration for scenes and purposes where it doesn't seem at all relevant (and sometimes even counter-productive).

Anyway, good point, definitely true that far fewer photographers bothered with WB back then and still took great photos.
--
Ken W
See plan in profile for equipment list

kenw's gear list:kenw's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +26 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow