Started Jul 26, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jmiller1948
Contributing MemberPosts: 738Gear list
Like?
Yellowstone Backcountry Lens Choices
Jul 26, 2011

Next week I'm doing a horseback/camping trip into the Yellowstone National Park backcountry to the upper part of Slough Creek. The main purpose is to get to some of the best fly fishing water in the park, but the scenery will be spectacular. I have a D700 and a few lens choices. We are very limited on what we can take, so the dilemma is which lenses to take. I think practicality and the size of my small gear bag limit me to two only, but which two.

Here are my options (all Nikkor AF-S):
50 f/1.4
16-35 f/4
24-120 f/5
105 f/2.8 macro
70-300 f/4.5-5.6

I'll be taking photos of my friends fishing, their catches, but lots of beautiful landscapes also. Low light capability at night in camp would be a plus too.

I think the 24-120 is a no-brainer. My real dilemma is between the 50 prime and the 16-35.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations and expertise. Regardless of which lenses I take, it'll be a wonderful trip (unless I have to opportunity to get close shots of a grizzly!).
--
Joel

There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are.
Ernst Haas

jmiller1948's gear list:jmiller1948's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +7 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow