thinking about getting a D200 advice please

Started Jul 25, 2011 | Discussions thread
Kelowna
Regular MemberPosts: 337
Like?
Re: thinking about getting a D200 advice please
In reply to PHXAZCRAIG, Jul 26, 2011

PHXAZCRAIG wrote:

I think it's a great landscape camera. Really, quite a nice camera overall too.

It's base ISO is 100, and it excels in bright light.

Very true. The D200 shows less noise at base ISO than the D300 does when viewing blue skies in landscape images.

Its sensor is optimized for daylight or more towards the blue end of the spectrum. By contrast, the D300 is optimized more towards the red end of the spectrum and therefore produces superior images when shot at high ISOs under incandescent lighting indoors. This may also explain some of the D300 overexposure described in #3 below.

When I first got a D300, I was shooting both cameras side-by-side a lot, and I didn't think there was much difference initially, except in these areas:
1. The LCD panel on the D300 puts older LCD panels to shame.

Triple the resolution

2. The 100% viewfinder on the D300 is nicer.

3. The D300 really seemed to shoot 'brighter' or 'harsher' or 'tended to blow highlights' more. I frequently shot the D300 at a -0.7 exposure in the sun, while shooting the D200 at 0.0. Whether one underexposes, or the other overexposes is something I'm still thinking about. But in the bright sun, I've always liked the D200 rendition better. Certainly the look of images out of the D300 is different from the D300.

.edit for brevity...........

The D200 eats batteries at least twice as fast as a D300.

I concur. Still, you can buy a lot of replacement batteries and charge them for the hundreds of dollars difference between the two bodies on the used market.

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

Desmond Murray
http://www.KelownaPhotographer.com
I shoot to thrill

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow