Talk me out of buying a used 70 200 f/4 non-IS!

Started Jul 25, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bugsnest
Forum MemberPosts: 78
Like?
Talk me out of buying a used 70 200 f/4 non-IS!
Jul 25, 2011

I would like to seek expert advice here coz I am afraid I may make a hasty decision and regret it later

I got a 60D recently and now have the L bug! I started reasearching and looking up for used 70 200 f/4 non-IS lenses on Craig's and popular photography forums since its the cheapest L and had lots of good ratings.

I found one yesterday that's a 2010 copy and hardly used by the seller (LIKE NEW). For the price offered (560) I am in a dilemma if it's worth it. I am sure the lens is great but I am debating over a few things -

1) IS - will this be required when shooting without a tripod at over 100 mm

2) Price - is 560 too much for a used copy? Cnosidering this could've been had for close to that, NEW, about a year ago

3) This is not going to be my walk around lens - I have a 28 135 USM for that and love it. I also have a EF-S 55-250 that's not bad but I hardly use since I got the 28 135. I am led to believe the L still is superior to these 2 lenses so may find more use... thoughts on that?

I primarily shoot my kids playing outdoors, landscape shots etc. I was recently in a concert and could not get any good shots of the performance with my 55 250 due to poor light. I wondered then how the L at constant f/4 would have performed there (I could not afford to even think of the f/2.8 version but I bet that would have been nicer :))

Like I said its just the L bug perhaps and I am trying to talk myself out of it. Help!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow