Started Jul 25, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jeff Seltzer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,680
Like?
My First Impressions (5DII Owner) + large pictures
Jul 25, 2011

I'm a loyal, and proud owner of a 5DII plus several top-end primes (85L, Sigma 50, Zeis 28). Problem with the 5DII is that it's hard to take with you everywhere, and so I wanted a camera with great image quality, but more portability. I tried the best micro four-thirds cameras, but returned them becasue I just didn't like the shooting experience, and they produced sub-par images IMO.

Enter the Fujifilm. So far, it's fantastic, and I can see my Canon will be used much less. The two major highlights for me: (1) the shooting expeirenc itself - the hybrid viewfinder is really amazing. I'm used to looking through the lens of a full frame camera, and I'm really not wanting at all with the Fujifilm - it's really fun to shoot; (2) the image quality is really amazing. Yes, it's a crop sensor, but I'm extremely imnpressed with the dynamic range, even compared to the 5DII. The RAW files are really beautiful, and I think it exposes better than the 5DII, especially white balance. I'm finding I do less in LR with these files than the Canon.

The two major LOWlights (complaints) are: (1) speed - the camera is just overall much slower than I'm used to. I'm not just talking about AF, but wake-up time, writing time (even with the fastest card money can buy), and overall operation speed. Not a deal breaker, but annoying; and (2) battery - this is so dissapointing! The battery drains incredilby quickily. It's someting that I'll just have to deal with, I guess.

ANYWAY, here are several shots so far after owning the camera for a couple of weeks. Cheers!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow