New Nikon sensor vs m43 and Pentax ! (pics). Nikon is 17 mm (not small).

Started Jul 24, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jorginho
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,580Gear list
Like?
New Nikon sensor vs m43 and Pentax ! (pics). Nikon is 17 mm (not small).
Jul 24, 2011

I took a pic of my m43 cam's mount in such a way that the angle is the same as the nikons (moreless). I suppose m43s mount has to be slightly larger. It seems the silver screws are the same size on most mounts, so I also tried to match them in size.

This is the result

Now if you have a 17 mm diagonal and a 3:2 ratio, this gives a surface of about 135 mm2.

m43 is 225mm2. So the sensor is exactly 60% of the size of m43 sensor. Looking at the pic, this seems to come close.

Now suppose it is a much smaller sensor. LIke 1/1.7, 1/2.3 or 1/2.5. This means the mount would be the size of the Pentax Q. If it is 1/1.7 it has to be larger than the Q and if not, the same size. So I took the Pentax Q mount (unfortunately I cannot take the pics with the same angle). This is the result.

We see the Pentax sensor is much smaller already. Of course in both comparisons one sensor may be slightly deeper (and seem smaller) than the other, but even so this cannot explain the large differences.

In my very unscientific comparison it seems much more likely the Nikon has a largish sensor and given the patents of Nikon, it will probably be one with a 17 mm diagonal. I surely hope so! Would be a nice companion (can be) for my Gh2 (pics are from my G1 btw).

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow