Started Jul 23, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GeraldW
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,716Gear list
Like?
FZ47/48, second thread
Jul 23, 2011

The first thread has gotten too long and comments get lost; so I'm starting a new one.

It seems like a positive trend to lower MP count. First the Canon SX230HS and now the FZ47/48.

The camera seems to be basically the FZ40/45 with a new sensor and processor; just as the FZ35/38 was an FZ28 with a new sensor and processor. I tried the FZ35 and went back to the FZ28. I don't do video.

I have to think there is an upgrade to the FZ100 in the wings. Hopefully it will have the CCD sensor, too. I could be interested in an FZ100 upgrade with articulated LCD and a hot shoe as an upgrade for my FZ28.

One of the things I'd really like to know about is how the F# of the lens changes with focal length. The Canon S3IS & S5IS, the FZ18, FZ28, and FZ35 all increased the F# slowly as the focal length increased. The FZ28 and FZ35 still being around f/3.7 at 420 mm. Starting with the SX10IS, Canon lenses increase f/# rather quickly as they zoom; with the result that the FZ28 has over a one stop edge at middle focal lengths, so to keep the shutter speeds up you need to go to higher ISO a lot sooner with the Canon. The only review site I found that mentioned this was Camera Labs from New Zealand.
--
Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Canon PowerShot S90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15 +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow