Started Jul 23, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
NS3HX
Regular MemberPosts: 151
Like?
HX100 N.D. Filter Observations
Jul 23, 2011

There has been lots of discussion about the HX100 built in ND filter that always defaults to on when the camera is turned on. After playing around with it and turning it off and on, I noticed that in the "auto nd" and "nd on" it will show on the lower screen a small symbol for "nd" when its activated. For me it turns out to not be a problem since I ran some tests and it really takes an extreme bright over exposure lighting condition for it to turn on. About the only way I could get it to activate was to point it at a very bright sunny sky with a high iso setting. I like others had the nd option set in the custom button and would always turn it off when I powered up the camera. Now I realize its not a problem and it very rarely activates and if it does come on it will save a situation of overexposure with its 3 stop ND 8 filter. I recently used it to photograph a waterfall and turned it on to slow the shutter speed for the "smooth water effect", it did a nice job. Since the smallest f/stop on the HX100 is f/8 the nd filter does a good job of preventing over exposure. I think Sony made a good choice with the nd filter auto setting and now I will just leave it on the "auto nd" setting 99% of the time....!!! So in case some of you didn't notice, look for the small "nd" symbol on the bottom of the screen that only displays under extreme bright conditions and is not on all the time like alot of us originally thought.....!!!! Hats off to Sony for a great feature, will save me from carrying extra nd filters to control exposure.....!!!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow