Started Jul 22, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ray63129
Junior MemberPosts: 47
Like?
Best nikon macro lens for bugs
Jul 22, 2011

I have been reading a lot about taking macro pictures of bugs with my Nikon D7000 but there seens to be a lot of disagreement about the best lens to use, Many like the 60mm but some say the working distance is to close. A few seem to like the 85mm and while many like the 105mm I think $500 is about the extent of my budget. Also the 105 has a longer min focus distance but is a longer lens so it looks like you only gain about 0.5 inch working distance. All are VR, and the shorter ones are lighter. Unfortunately the 85 is only a 3.5 so I assume it won't focus with teleconverters. And that is about what I think I have learned from the posts.

Is there any other practical experience that anyone can add before I invest?

I looked at used lens and that might be possible but none of the current ones are easy to find on the used market. I also read a lot of good things about the Tamron 90 macro but it is not VR, which seem to have about equal split on opinions as to how bad that is.

So for the folks taking macro pictures of bugs, any experience/advice would be appreciated.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow