The False Popularity of Bridge Cameras

Started Jul 19, 2011 | Discussions thread
buckshot
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,924Gear list
Like?
and how blind a fanboy can be
In reply to Daniel Lowe, Jul 21, 2011

Daniel

You see, the thing that irks me is how disingenuous some of these DSLR guys are.

No. 1. the Nikon 3100 is a stripped down entry level DSLR made of plastic like the HS20.

My post was about the D5000. This camera is in my limited opinion built very well.

The HS20 actually has more features and more easily accessible manual control, it also has a flip out screen and modes that are genuinely useful like bracketing etc that the Nikon doesn't have.

I am again speaking about a Nikon D5000

What features? What manual control and how do you access it?

Of course the Nikon has better image quality and faster AF, no one is disputing that reality.

... an OVF, superfast jpg + RAW, ability to change lenses to improve IQ, better build quality oh and the flip out screen can rotate too it is a numer of times better than my S9100 "flip out" LCD

And here is the crux of the issue.

Some of you chaps are trying to argue that the bridge camera is now defunct, not necessary, totally replaceable by a 3100 with a long zoom lens.

What utter nonsense.

For a start, you can not match the wideangle without another lens, and you absolutely can not match 23-700 in one lens.

It is utter nonesense to want to compromise that nice sensor with an all in one crap lens. That is why there are many lenses to choose from.

We are instantly back to being at a disadvantage for all but image quality.

What happened to faster AF? ... and all those features I mentioned?

This is what makes the HS20 such an enjoyable 'walk around' camera - the ability to go from a serious panoramic to serious telephoto within seconds.

Like Boo said, it is a very "liberating" way to enjoy photography.

It takes seconds to change a lens ... but wait .... is the lens always the wrong lens? the answer is no, usually I will have already prepared the camera with the lens I want to use so I can frame and shoot. And guess what? I enjoy using my D5000 a LOT!

No one is arguing about pixel level quality, but I will say this, the HS20 takes very nice pictures, and often with dynamic range close to DSLR level, DPR reviewers have always commented favourably on EXR sensors in this regard.

obviously not " always "

Colour rendition is good, metering is good, control over noise reduction is good.

ok

All in all the bridge camera concept is not diminished in the least by entry level DSLR's.

Why would an entry level DSLR diminish "the bridge camera concept"?

But as I have said before, if pixel level image quality is absolutely important to an individual then DSLR's are worth the hassle but extra expense is essential.

What hassle? I love to use my DSLR and as I have shown the cost is about equal in my case ... less if I don't have to include the cost of a wide angle lens that I would not buy anyway and when I wear out the body I still have the lenses!! you have to throw out the baby with the bathwater with a superzoom

Personally, if I buy a DSLR it won't be some stripped down plastic entry level model, if you are going to invest that much in gear I would rather leave them to the millions that ratty rats on about.

Oh the Painterdude complex ... he felt at one time that it was all or nothing too. He is now taking great images with a D90

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Ha..New
(unknown member)
DanNew
(unknown member)
ratNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow