Upgraded from Canon T2i to 5D Mark II... not impressed

Started Jul 11, 2011 | Discussions thread
f_stops
Contributing MemberPosts: 565Gear list
Like?
More information please
In reply to teohenwhy, Jul 21, 2011

teohenwhy wrote:

. . . I have to admit that I am a little disappointed in the image quality difference between the two. . . but I am speaking in terms of overall picture quality alone. I guess I just expected alot better from the 5D .

The most objective way to compare output is by printing out a few samples. Pixel-peeping can be misleading.

What exacly is disappointing? Have you optimized your workflow (calibrations, sharpening) for the 5dII? 5dII images are a little 'soft' - with a few unsharp mask passes they become crystal clear. For Photoshop, try both 1/80/0 for micro-detail and 20/60/0 for edge sharpening. Note that a little 'oversharpening' is ok at the pixel level for printing. My guess is that the 5dII can handle more post processing than the T2i.

The thing is , I have a Tamron 28-75 2.8 lens on there and was wondering if that could be the issue? When I had my T2i i took sample photos with the Tamron and Canon 24-70mm 2.8 L on a tripod and the Tamron always came out sharper so I kept the Tamron.

I had both the 24-70L and the Tamron. Tamron equal or better at f4 and up, sold the L after sending it to Canon with little improvement. However I would check lens calibration on the 5dII. The lens is not the issue.

f_stops's gear list:f_stops's gear list
Leica M9
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
WowNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow