Started Jul 20, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Binone
Regular MemberPosts: 472Gear list
Like?
Why can't the GXX be Full Frame?
Jul 20, 2011

Back in the days before digital cameras, I owned a wonderful little Contax model called the T3. This was a pocket-size camera that had a fixed 35mm lens. They also had a similar model with a collapsible zoom lens (I've forgotten that model number). These cameras were roughly the same size as the S95. Of course, since they used film, the circle of coverage of the lens had to cover the full 35mm frame. So, the issue of a small lens not being able to cover the full 35mm frame doesn't make sense to me.

I know that when light strikes film, the angle of the light, with respect to the film, is relatively unimportant, but, that's a critical factor for digital. However, with the common use of microlenses that re-direct the light so that it's perpendicular to the sensor plane, that issue should be moot.

Modern digital cameras also have a lot more electronics than film cameras ever had. However, most of that has been so highly integrated and miniaturized, that it doesn't take up a lot of space in the camera body. The biggest issue that I can think of is that the digital camera requires a much larger battery. So, let's forget putting full frame in something the size of a S95 and look at the GXX. I own several dSLRs as well as compact cameras and I consider the G12 as having the best user interface of any of them. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I like direct access dials for most functions - they're faster and I don't have to take my eye off the subject to use them. However, while better than most compacts, in low light, the G12's small sensor still presents a challenge with the resulting compromise between detail and noise being less than ideal.

Can you imagine how great it would be if we had a GXX with a full frame sensor? The thing is, I can't figure out why we can't have that. What technology issue needs to be solved to produce a full-frame G series?

Binone's gear list:Binone's gear list
Nikon 1 AW1
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow