Why doesn't my 3.5-5.6 lens open over F5?

Started Jun 27, 2011 | Discussions thread
fotowbert
Senior MemberPosts: 1,138Gear list
Like?
Let Nikon put the magic back into your 16-85
In reply to RRickards, Jul 20, 2011

RRickards wrote:

You are right, it has been for quite awhile, I'll have to send it in. A good lense for sure nomall, I've just been using the Sigma 18-50/2.8 alot more since I got it, and with a 70-300vr as well, the 16-85 doesn't get the attention it used to get. I am very pleased with the Sigma. My first fast fixed zoom, nice to have for sure.

Thanks all.

I suspect your lens may be providing faulty information to the body about its max aperture. You can't dial in an aperture larger than f5 because the body thinks the lens has a max aperture of f5 for some reason.

A likely source is a failed zoom position sensor in the lens. You zoom to 16mm but the lens reports its position to the body as say 70mm where the max aperture is f5. In this case the aperture blades should be staying fully open when you watch them during an f5 exposure at 16mm focal length. The EXIF data would incorrectly report the focal length as 70mm.

When correctly functioning you should be able to zoom to 16mm and set f3.5 in A mode. Then as you zoom to 85mm watch the display and observe the aperture displayed change slowly to f5.6.

Less likely but possible is the CPU in the lens has failed.

Technology is wonderful when it works but all it takes is a piece of dust to get under an electrical contact and the magic doesn't work.

It's time to let Nikon put the magic back into your 16-85. Good luck

fotowbert's gear list:fotowbert's gear list
Canon PowerShot A20 Canon PowerShot SD870 IS Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ8 Canon PowerShot S95 +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow